DIY Mermaid Bath
Ever fantasized about being a mermaid? Just add seaweed to your bath 🙂 Sound nutty? It’s actually very beneficial and healing.Insert disclaimer here: Following these directions and soaking in this seaweed bath will not change you into a mermaid – sorry in the meantime enjoy this fabulous pic and pretend all you like 🙂
Now For The How To:
- Use 4 ounces of dried seaweed. 2oz. kelp and 2 oz. dulse. Kelp is very abundant in calcium, potassium, iodine, iron, and magnesium, and dulse is also rich in minerals and has a very high Vitamin A content. You can purchase dried seaweed online or at your local health food store.
(Eventually I will be carrying all of these ingredients and more in my Eco-Chic Boutique Store) For now other sources will just have to do *sigh*
- Fill muslin bags, large tea balls, or old clean pantyhose knee-highs or pantyhose cut at the knee with dried seaweed. (The bags are needed to keep the seaweed from going down your drain.) tie off bags/pantyhose.
- Boil water in a large pot, add the seaweed, and steep for half an hour or so.
- Pour into the bath (seaweed in its bag and all).
- Fill the bath with water as hot as you can stand it.
A light gel or film from the seaweed will softly coat your body while you soak. Once it dissolves and you don’t feel it on your skin any more, you know your bath is done and you’ve absorbed the seaweed’s benefits.
Seaweed baths are considered very therapeutic because of their very high mineral content. Some call these baths iodine baths, since the iodine content of 1/3 of a cup of seaweed is more than 2,000 times the RDA—recommended daily allowance. Many report feeling that their thyroid has been stimulated from seaweed baths.
Seaweed baths also reportedly benefit other organs, including the adrenal glands, because of its vitamin K content, and helps maintain hormone balance.
Caution: Those with high blood pressure or other health problems should consult their doctors before having a hot seaweed bath.
Even though you won’t be a real mermaid, you’ll still be a natural beauty. Enjoy!
All The Best!!!
Source Credit: Adapted from article by Annie B. Bond - Seaweed Spa