Sorry I have not blogged in a couple of weeks. I have been busy with life stuff and doing research on how to bring a great idea to the public. But what I want to share with you today is
A fresh perspective that is growing and spreading..
My recent research shows that there is “an awakening” of sorts happening.
Many folks are scaling back spending and tightening their belts in some areas of their lives and investing in natural and organic foods, household products and bath and beauty products as well! What you put in and on your body does indeed matter. In fact it matters a great deal.
Many cancers can now be traced to artificial sweeteners, additives and preservatives in foods and many skin cancers are being attributed to chemicals that are used in the home and on our skin! *shudder*
The age of ignorance about these issues is hopefully very near. Here are some facts about SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) A VERY common and toxic ingredient found in shampoos, bubble bath, soaps and other products even products for babies:
Inform, Empower, Engage
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is a very harsh detergent found in almost all shampoos, body wash, conditioners, shaving cream, and toothpaste.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate started as an industrial degreaser and garage floor cleaner. When applied to human skin it has the effect of stripping off the oil layer and then irritating and eroding the skin, leaving it rough and pitted.
Studies (Judi Vance, Beauty To Die For, Promotion Publishing, 1998) have shown that:
- Shampoos with SLS could retard healing and keep children’s eyes from developing properly. Children under six years old are especially vulnerable to improper eye development. (Summary of Report of Research to Prevent Blindness, Inc. conference.”
- “Sodium Lauryl Sulfate can cause cataracts in adults and delays the healing of wounds in the surface of the cornea.”
- “Sodium Lauryl Sulfate has a low molecular weight and so is easily absorbed by the body. It builds up in the heart, liver and brain and can cause major problems in these areas.”
- “Sodium Lauryl Sulfate causes the skin to flake and to separate and causes roughness on the skin.”
- “Sodium Lauryl Sulfate causes dysfunction of the biological systems of the skin.”
- “Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is such a caustic cleanser that it actually corrodes the hair follicle and impairs the ability to grow hair.”
- “Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is routinely used in clinical studies deliberately to irritate the skin so that the effects of other substances can be tested.” (Study cited by the Wall St Journal, 1st November 1998)
“Ethoxylation: Ethoxylation is the process that makes degreasing agents such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) less abrasive and gives them enhanced foaming properties.
When SLS is ethoxylated, it forms Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), a compound used in many shampoos, toothpaste, bath gels, bubble baths, and industrial degreasants. The problem is, the extremely harmful compound 1,4-dioxane may be created during the ethoxylation process, contaminating the product. 1,4-dioxane was one of the principal components of the chemical defoliant Agent Orange used to great effect by the Americans during the Vietnam War to strip off the jungle canopy to reveal their enemy. 1,4-dioxane is a hormonal disrupter believed to be the chief agent implicated in the host of cancers suffered by Vietnam military personnel after the war. It is also an oestrogen mimic thought to increase the chances of breast cancer and endometrial cancer, stress related illnesses and lower sperm counts.
Dr Samuel Epstein (Author and research Scientist) reports: “The best way to protect yourself is to recognise ingredients most likely to be contaminated with the1,4-dioxane. These include ingredients with the prefix word, or syllable PEG, Polyethylene, Polyethylene Glycol, Polyoxyethylene, eth (as in sodium laureth sulfate) or oxynol.
Notice the date of the study quoted above? 1998?! It’s now 2011! Why is it taking so very long for many to realise what SLS is and what affects it can have on our overall health and well-being? Ads. Marketing. And lack of consumer knowledge and education regarding the products we use daily.
In truth, many products on the market today are there because people do not read labels. They like the packaging, smell, price etc…
Chemicals can be manufactured fairly cheaply thus the products are cheap to come by. So OK YIKES!!! Why on Earth would I want to use ANYTHING with SLS or SLES in it?!
Like I said above, most folks just don’t know any better but hopefully the age of ignorance is at its end. So now you know!
Organic products are more costly due to supply and demand however; you are worth the investment! a few extra cents or dollars are well worth the health and well-being of you and your family.
I feel better having shared this information with you. Just my small part in helping to end the age of ignorance regarding the harsh chemicals that we subject ourselves and loved ones to daily. So go forth and purge your SLS laden products and go Green for your clean 🙂
Have a Green Kinda Clean Day!
Patti (Yeshuazgirl) THE Eco-Chic Boutique